These three principles are the keys to making a positive shift in your life or business.
1 – Identify and get rid of whatever is holding you back
Do the work on yourself first! Discover what the negative emotions, limiting decisions and beliefs may be holding you back from reaching your desired outcomes. Get help with this process – hire a certified coach, see a trained therapist – find a process or program that works for you.
Here are a couple of recommended books and resources to check out:
The Work of Byron Katie has been one of the most powerful personal growth strategies I have discovered. I also had the opportunity to see Katie in person as she demonstrated live the power of “The Work” with people from the audience.
The Work is a method of self-inquiry with four questions that, when applied to a specific problem, enable you to see what is troubling you in an entirely different light. As Katie says, “It’s not the problem that causes our suffering; it’s our thinking about the problem.” Contrary to popular belief, trying to let go of a painful thought never works; instead, once we have done The Work, the thought lets go of us. At that point, we can truly love what is, just as it is.
This is another of my all-time favorite books and one I have re-read many times. Don Miguel Ruiz’s practical advice on living by these four basic principles can truly be life-changing.
1. BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
2. DON’T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
3. DON’T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement you can completely change your life.
4. ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST. Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.
Neuro-Linguistic Programming NLP Training – Recommendation: NLP Coaching
2 – Take Action
This is a critical first step after doing the positive change work on yourself. You must have a plan and action steps that you actually do and move you toward what you desire. What action are you taking right now to move toward your desired outcome? Resolve to do something every day (one small step) that moves you toward your goals. Daily action increases your determination and gives you energy.
3 – Focus on What You Want
Our unconscious mind is a powerful force which is designed to (among other things) preserve and maintain our body and control and maintain all perceptions.
Do you take 100% responsibility for your actions, your life, where you are now?
Or, do you blame your current condition, state of being, attitude, life on someone or something outside of yourself?
Is it really your environment, the market, your boss, the economy, the kids, the economy that’s responsible for where you are now – mentally, physically, emotionally or spiritually?
Are you the Victim or the Victor?
It’s not enough to just think about what you desire. Positive thoughts with real feelings behind them (or in the words of Napoleon Hill “a burning desire”) is the first step. The next powerful step to manifesting your reality – your outcomes or goals – is to take the right and appropriate action toward not away from it. If your thoughts are dwelling on the fact that you don’t have it yet, things never work out for you, or other negative self-talk – you are moving away from what you want. Simply recognize the negative thoughts and change them! Practice makes perfect.
Focus on Results – Question to ask yourself”
- What are my highest value activities?
- What are my key results areas?
- What can I and only I do that, if done well, will make a real difference in my business?
- What is the most valuable use of my time right now?
4 Ways to Improve Your Quality of Life & Work
- Identify and do MORE of the things that are of the highest value to you and bring you the greatest rewards and satisfaction (80/20 principle).
- Identify and do LESS of the things that are not helpful and not contributing to what you want.
- START to do high value things today that you are not currently doing. Act on new choices, learn new skills, take on new projects or activities.
- STOP doing the things that are no longer consistent with what and where you want to go.
Learn more about building your legacy at Innovative Real Estate Strategies.
Contact Jan O'Brien for a confidential interview today.
702.858-9191 | email@example.com
Catch Jan's weekly Podcast at WBNLPodcast.com